Thursday, June 4, 2009

the dead and the gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Note: the book title is not spelled with capitals. I'm a perfectionist, so don't think I'm getting lazy.

Plot: the moon gets knocked closer to Earth, causing a whole bunch of bad problems everywhere. Main disasters: no food, money is worthless, and everyone is dying. A teenage boy tries to take care of his sisters with no income and no end in sight to this worldwide free-for-all.

Comments: a good book, though it started to get a little boring towards the end, since there were always the same problems and nothing much happened. I don't like how the boy treats his sisters. The girls always have to do all the housework and cooking, and the boy acts like their master. What I hate most, though, is that most of the time, the girls accept his authority. Ugh! I hate sexism! The plot was creative and interesting, is a bit tedious. I would have liked this book a lot better if the girls weren't always relying on their brother to save them. It surprises me, because this book was written by a woman. I don't care that the person who took control is a boy; I hate that the girls do housewife things while the boy takes care of them.

Rating: I rate this book a six out of ten. The sexism lowered it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment