Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Circle Opens by Tamora Pierce

The Circle Opens is a series of four books. The four individual books are Magic Steps, Street Magic, Cold Fire, and Shatterglass.

This series is sequel to the series The Circle of Magic.

Plot: the four kids are back, and are now officially mages at the age of thirteen, while becoming a mage when you are in your early twenties is considered impressive. This causes much jealousy and anger from other students and mages, but that's not the problem. The four mages separate and go off with their teachers to have their own adventures.

Comments: I didn't like this series as much as the first series. I think that's because I like the mages better together instead of reading about them separately. It's annoying to have to finish one book and start another just to hear about a different character. But, I suppose a change like that is good, and I probably would have gotten bored if they all went everywhere together. Besides, that could strain the author's imagination, trying to think up reasons for them all to go everywhere. (No offense to Tamora Pierce; she is a truly great writer, and I immensely respect her writing abilities.) I got to know the individual characters a little better in this book, but the names were confusing, because for each book I had to remember another large set of names. I really liked the plots for the books, though, and I like how each ended up with someone to teach, because it shows them growing up.

Rating: This series will receive a seven and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment