Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce

The Circle of Magic is a series of four books, but they could be one book, and that's how I'm rating them. The individual books are Sandry's Book, Daja's Book, Briar's Book, and Tris's Book.

The series after this is called The Circle Opens, with another four books.

Plot: four kids are taken to Winding Circle, a temple/magic school, because they don't fit in where they are and are suspected of having magic. They become great friends and develop powers far greater than the average mage, having all sorts of adventures along the way.

Comments: I love fantasy books, so I was easily hooked on this magic-based series. The characters were all very different, and clashed all the time, but found they had a few things in common after all. I like how the characters react in ways I imagine a real person would instead of acting calmly and trying to work things out with words and the like. On the whole, the events flawlessly go from one to the other, and the overall effect is an easy read. I think, though, that the kids used their magic too much to solve problems. I would have liked seeing them work something out without having to resort to power an average person does not have.

Rating: I shall give this series, all together, an eight out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment