Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Plot: a teenage girl and her younger brother go to stay with their grandparents for two and a half weeks. The property seems like a beautiful, peaceful farm, but soon Kendra and Seth begin to discover that Fablehaven is not what it seems.

Comments: a great fantasy book, perfect for a boring summer day when you need a book to pass the time. Fablehaven is realistic, so you can imagine the whole story unfolding a little ways away as you read. The main character is Kendra, the thirteen-year-old girl, but I feel like I know her younger brother Seth better than her. When something interesting happens, I can think up plenty of ways Seth might react, but not Kendra. It's not that she's unpredictable; I just don't have a good idea of the kind of person she is. That's not good, because she's the main character.

I like the plot, but it was a little predictable once the story got going. I like the descriptions of the fairies and other creatures, and I think their characters are displayed well. There are plenty of creative twists to this plot, and I like the way Brandon Mull writes. I can't wait for Book Two! I would suggest, however, that next time the author pay more attention to his characters and remember that however clearly the author sees the characters, us readers only have the words to go on.

Rating: I give this book a seven out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment