Sunday, May 17, 2009

Airman by Eoin Colfer

Plot: In about the 1890's a teenager goes to a prison on this tiny dismal island for being falsly accused of treason (he's framed) and oh, lucky coincidence, the person framing him runs the prison. He's forced to mine for diamonds and plans to fly out of the prison, using the skills his tutor taught him, making gliders and designing aeroplanes.

Comments: I was drawn to this book by its thickness and the espionage/dark/cool-looking cover. After I read the inside flap, however, I did not have very high hopes for this book, because I felt I knew how the whole story would go. Nevertheless, I loved this book, and it's great for a break between work (though it's hard to put down, so watch the clock carefully). It's not really espionage, though it looks it; it's more adventure, and it seems like a piece (an interesting piece) of history instead of a story. It gets too confusing at times, and the timeline of this novel is also misleading. Read carefully, because time skips ahead sometimes, and it's easy to miss. This is almost a sci-fi book, because of all the careful details and information on the topic of flying. The setting of the place is a little confusing, and all in all this book gives you the details when it decides to.

Rating: I give this book an eight out of ten--the highest ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment