Monday, August 16, 2010

Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

Plot: a young girl has a serious medical condition called OI (osteogenesis imperfecta), also called the "brittle bone" disease. Willow's bones can - and do - break when she rolls over in her sleep, when she slips on a napkin, when she sneezes. Her mother's life is centered around Willow, and this becomes a problem as Willow's older sister feels invisible and Willow's father disagrees with the proposed lawsuit to get more money for Willow.

Comments: this is an amazing story about family, sacrifice, and doing what you think is right. It reminds me of My Sister's Keeper, also by Jodi Picoult, because both stories are about families struggling to stay together despite disagreements, and both families center around an ill family member. Handle With Care is a hard book to read. The story is almost painful, and the writing makes you feel what the characters are feeling.

I loved the character Amelia, and though my life is nothing like hers, I somehow relate to her and understand her pain. I also felt sorry for her, because her mother never paid her any attention. Throughout this story, my dislike for Charlotte, the mother, steadily grew to the point that I was disgusted with her. In a way, she is the antagonist in the story. I couldn't believe someone could act the way she did. It was almost despicable. I do think this book is worth reading, however annoying it is to read about the mother. I liked the father, Sean, and I liked Willow, too. None of this was her fault, and she was so sweet and innocent. I finished reading the story hoping for Willow's sake that it would have a happy ending.

Rating: I rate this book a seven out of ten. A good read, but not exactly an uplifting one.

No comments:

Post a Comment