Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Notes From the Teenage Underground by Simmone Howell

Plot: three girls decide to make an "underground" film as their summer project. But when the unofficial group leader Lo, and pretty, boy-crazy Mira start to take over, Gem, sensitive and lacking in self-confidence, feels left out. As Lo and Mira's friendship grows, Gem meets her long-lost father and tries to catch the eye of her crush.

Comments: this book was a pretty good read. I liked Gem's character because she was practical and clear-headed. I thought her crush on her co-worker was cute, but not when she resorted to extra measures to attract his attention. I didn't understand why she was friends with Lo and Mira, however. Mira was the dim-witted giggling type, and was only interested in boys, boys, and more boys. Lo was controlling and a self-proclaimed queen of everyone, and was never contributing anything to her "friendship" with Gem. I guess Gem was, in a way, desperate to have friends.

I liked the sound of the film Gem ends up making, but it's pretty hard to imagine. I thought it fit the definition of "underground"; different, thought-provoking, and maybe slightly rebellious. Gem's character developed well, and I liked her a lot better towards the end than in the beginning. She changed into a self-dependant, strong young woman. Still a little hesitant and self-doubting, but much better than before.

Rating: I rate this book a six out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment