Monday, July 12, 2010

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Plot: When a widow named Mrs. Ferrars commits suicide and the wealthy Roger Ackroyd is murdered soon afterward, the small English village of King's Abbot is even more full of gossip than usual. The murder is a complete mystery to the incompetent local police. Fortunately, though, the famous detective Hercule Poirot has just moved into King's Abbot and agrees to take on the case, with the narrator, Dr. Sheppard, as his unofficial companion.

Comments: I really liked this book - it was interesting, mysterious (of course, it is a mystery), and very intriguing. It was recommended by my friend Erika: she told me how much she liked it, but that her favorite character ended up being the murderer. She also said that it's a surprise ending - a "big twist", she called it. I was sure that my favorite character wouldn't be the murderer, but it turned out that she had sized me up right and predicted that my favorite would be the same as hers. Comment once you read the book and let me know if your favorite character was the murderer! (However, ye be warned: I may not post spoilers!)

The writing style in this story is very simple. The desciptions were like rough sketches; general, but easy to understand. I liked that though it is a mystery, the descriptions didn't go on and on and on. There was definitely a lot of reviewing of the murder, however, and that got a little old. I began to get annoyed with the detective, because he would bring up trivial details (or so you thought) and then wouldn't say what importance they had. He seemed to enjoy enfuriating his companion (and myself) with his locked lips. He was a good character to have in the story, because it spiced it up a little.

Rating: I rate this book a seven out of ten. A good read, though at first I hated the ending - after all, how can I enjoy a mystery where it turns out my favorite character is the murderer? But I thought about it for a while and finally agreed that it was a perfectly good ending, and I resigned myself to that fact, however disappointed I was.

2 comments:

  1. I hoped and hoped that my favourite character wouldn't be the murderer, but indeed he was and I was extremely sad. However I loved reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read more of Poirot and you'll learn to love him! My favorite is the ABC Murders

    ReplyDelete