Monday, August 16, 2010

Slam by Nick Hornby

Plot: teenager Sam is an ordinary guy: he's okay in school, he loves to skate (that's skateboard, FYI)... But then he meets Alicia, a gorgeous girl who ends up becoming his girlfriend. Everything's great until Alicia gets pregnant. She refuses to have an abortion, but Sam doesn't feel ready to be a father. He turns to his idol, Tony Hawk, for help, but talking to a poster doesn't yield much advice. What now?

Comments: This book was okay. I liked it at first, the way Sam narrated the whole thing, because I liked his way of talking. Casual, with slang and opinions; it sounded like a teenage boy. I liked Sam and the relationship he had with his young mom (she had become pregnant as a teenager). I didn't like Alicia, because she was really rude to Sam in the beginning, but she got better, and I thought it would be a pretty good book. But then the book started to fast-forward to the future and it got confusing and slightly boring.

I felt like Nick Hornby was trying to advertise abstinence to teenagers, or at least safer habits. I wanted to read a story, not a lecture about teenage relationships and the consequences of early pregnancies. I did finish reading the book, but I skimmed a lot as it got more boring.

Rating: I rate this book a six out of ten. I understand that teenage pregnancies are a serious topic, but I'm rating a book, not a health class lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment