Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer

From book one to book four, the titles are as follows: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Plot: Bella, a regular teenage girl, falls in love with a vampire named Edward. She thinks he's perfect, but he's worried that he's dangerous to be around. These are stories about love, sacrifice, guilt, and jealousy.

Comments: The first time I read these books (rather long after they had been discovered and became popular), I really liked the first book, I kind of liked the second and third books, and I really liked the fourth book. However, upon rereading them recently, I thought the first book was okay, I really didn't like the second and third books, and the fourth book was still pretty good. All in all, the series was mediocre, definitely aimed at teenage girls rather than the judges for the Pulitzer Prize.

The plot and the idea are both great, and I like the way the stories twist and turn. There are so many different characters you need to remember, all very different and easy to imagine (though after seeing so many movie trailers for the first three movies, all I see are the actors' faces, which really annoys me). I liked Bella the first time I read these books. She's practical, clumsy, slightly self-doubting; nothing special, or so she thinks. Edward is incredibly handsome, talented, protective - and immortal - and he is completely in love with Bella. I really liked that he didn't fall in love with a popular girl, like a stereotypical blond, thin cheerleader.

However, when I reread the books, I found parts where Bella just annoyed me. She allowed Edward to make decisions for her and wouldn't or couldn't hold a grudge against him for any period of time, even if he did something really irritating. I would be yelling at her in my head to "stand up for yourself, don't just let him push you around! Who cares how pretty he is, you aren't his property!" Sometimes I didn't understand why they were in love - or even that they were in love; a lot of the time it didn't show. I also didn't like the Bella cried a lot and was kind of a wimp.

This is definitely a light-read, because it's almost like a fairy-tale, even though it's set in modern day. It's sappy and reminds me of a soap opera in book form. Ye be warned.

Rating: I rate the whole series a five out of ten. The writing is okay, if repetitive, the idea is good, if a little unbelievable, but the characters are just irritating. Although maybe you aren't supposed to like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment