Monday, August 16, 2010

Burn Notice: The Fix by Tod Goldberg

Note: this is based off the TV series Burn Notice by Matt Nix.

Plot: ex-spy Michael Westen has been living under surveillance in his hometown, Miami, ever since someone burned him. His friend, an ex-navy seal, asks him to help a friend out, which of course leads to a huge undercover mission for which Michael isn't even getting paid. To top it off, an old acquaintance shows up and threatens Michael, basically with death. Another average day in the life of Michael Westen.

Comments: I really like the show, so when I found this book, I was curious as to how similar the two would turn out. I hadn't actually seen this particular episode (I'm assuming this story was based off a real episode), but I thought the characters were portrayed accurately. Though most of the details went over my head (like the details about real estate, money laundering, etc.), because they were a little too detailed for my taste. (Detailed details. I guess that should be a given.) I skimmed through some of the long conversations about real estate and such, but besides all that, I thought the book was pretty good.

I liked the way Tod Goldberg wrote Michael's thoughts and made him so ingenius and meticulous. I thought it fit the TV show character very well. He's not exactly macho, but he's got a kind of power that makes him extremely formidable, and he knows it (and likes it). It's funny how he acts out different people and how no one guesses he's acting. He's that convincing. It makes for a good story. I also like his kind of humor, because it fits the "spy" kind of character (in my mind) and makes the story a little lighter.

Rating: I rate this book a six and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment