Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shine, Coconut Moon by Neesha Meminger

Plot: Sam doesn't know much about her Indian heritage, and she'd never really thought about it. But one day, a man in a turban shows up at her house claiming to be her uncle. Suddenly Sam realizes what she's been missing. She wants to learn about the Sikh religion, meet her grandparents - the only problem is her mother, who is determined to keep Sam away from her ancestry.

Comments: I enjoyed this book. I learned about the Sikh religion (which, I'm afraid, I'd never heard of before) and about Indian culture. I couldn't relate very well to the book, but I thought it was very well-written, and I really liked Sam (her real name is Samar). Sam's unique, protective, and loyal, and she made the story really interesting. It was fun to tag along as she entered a new part of her life. This story takes place soon after 9/11, which makes racism and prejudice dominant parts of the book. Even though I wasn't the one being racist, I felt ashamed and embarrassed for those who were. This book reminded me not to judge anyone by their looks, and that's something everyone needs to remember.

Rating: I rate this book a six and a half out of ten. It was a good read. Not exactly light-hearted, but not deep and profound either. Somewhere in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment