Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Tiger's Apprentice by Laurence Yep

Book One in The Tiger's Apprentice series.

Plot: A Chinese-American boy, a tiger, a monkey, and a dragon together guard a powerful talisman from an evil being. If the artifact falls into the wrong hands, the world would be destroyed.

Comments: this book was ok, good for a lazy day with nothing to do. The characters were pretty well rounded, and I like how some characters were pulled from different stories (namely the monkey, from a famous old Asian story). I don't like how the boy reacts to all that happens. He doesn't want to help guard the talisman, and he's rude and ungrateful to the sacrifices that others make.

The descriptions of the characters and setting were good, and I could imagine myself in the story, watching the plot unfold in front of me. The plot is creative, but I think it begins too fast. The reader knows nothing when they are plunged into a battle at the start of the story, and though that's purposeful, it's a little annoying. All in all, this book was not very entertaining.

Rating: I rate this book a five and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment