Thursday, July 30, 2009

Erec Rex: The Search for Truth by Kaza Kingsley

Book three in the Erec Rex series. Book one is Erec Rex: The Dragon’s Eye and book two is Erec Rex: The Monsters of Otherness.

Plot: Erec Rex is in the running to becoming King of Alypium, a magical world that the occupants of Upper Earth (Earth, as we call it) know nothing about. To become king, he must complete a series of quests and somehow fend off the attacks from his competitors, the three sons of the evil sorcerer Baskania. So far he has completed both of the first two quests before his enemies could, and he’s about to embark upon a couple more, with the help of his friends Bethany, the practical math genius, and Jam, the polite, humble butler.

Comments: I really liked this book, and so far the series makes a really good read. The characters are very well created, very life-like. Some characters are harder to imagine, like Jack and Oscar, but that’s probably because I had to wait a while to read this book, so I kind of forgot the characters, and Oscar and Jack don’t show up much in this book. I relate well to Bethany, and it’s always nice to feel like you know what a character feels like. Empathy, right? It makes me feel more involved in the story, getting me more interested. I don’t relate well to Erec, probably because I’m not a guy, but I think his way of talking is different from what I know, and I don’t like his apparent lack of self-control. He’s always blurting stuff out without thinking, being rude or unfeeling. I mean, plenty of people don’t think before they speak, but he also can’t ever control his craving to hold the king’s scepter. Maybe it overrules any control over himself, but I think his character needs to work on being a little more…aware of himself.

I like the way the plot flows smoothly, even when it jumps from scene to scene, because I don't ever think: “Whoa, what just happened? What’s happening now?” The quests so far have all been different and creative. There were a few unexpected surprises in this book, real whoppers that made me go back and reread to make sure I read it right. That will be very hard to keep up if there’s a book for every two quests, since there’s four down and eight to go…I like how any characters that come in for a sort of guest appearance, just small parts in this one book, are completely different and help to spice up the story. Very creative characteristics!

Rating: I rate this book a seven and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment