Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Crystal Doors by Rebecca Moesta and Kevin J. Anderson

Book One in the Crystal Doors trilogy. Click here for book two and click here for book three.

Plot: two cousins, Gwen and Vic, are transported to another world by their uncle's experiment with crystals. They have no idea where they are or how they got there. The teenagers have arrived at the beginning of a huge war and decide to fight. But meanwhile, they soon start uncovering bits of their past...

Comments: a good fantasy story, great for when you need something lighthearted. The characters are pretty well rounded. I like how there are problems within bigger problems; smaller dilemas that don't matter as much but make the story more like real life. For example, how Vic has a crush on two different girls, and how Orpheon for some reason is always nasty to the cousins. All in all, this was entertaining and had an interesting plot.

I don't particularily like Gwen's character. I like that she's smart and responsible, but she also loves pink and princess-themed things. It's definitely a contrast, and I know I'm not going to love everything about everyone, but she's a main character and I don't think her personality had enough thought put into it.

The story doesn't have a very good hook; if I hadn't read the back and inside cover, I wouldn't have continued reading it. The ending isn't exactly a cliff-hanger, but it's stopped at a good place to make the reader want to get the next book. (By the way, I think books shouldn't end with cliff-hangers; leave the reader interested and excited to keep reading, yes. Cut them off right before something extremely important happens, no. When that happens, I get annoyed and I boycott the sequel. Weird and sad, but satisfying.)

Rating: I give this book a six and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment