Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tamar by Mal Peet

Plot: a spy for the United Nations is parachuted into Holland with the code name Tamar, along with his friend Dart (also a code name) during World War II. They assume new lives and report by radio back to the base, gathering whatever information they can. Tamar has been to this town before, and is returning to his love, Marijke. Unfortunately, Dart quickly falls in love with Marijke. Will his jealousy of Tamar and Marijke's relationship make him forget his duty and uncover Tamar and his own real identities?

Comments: I really liked this book, because it taught me a little about life during WWII, and because it was cast in a light of danger and espionage. I love books about espionage, because one wrong move and it's over. Unfortunately, this means I have to read the book all at once, because if I put it down, my head is full of thoughts and I can't concentrate on anything else. Even worse, this book is pretty long, so I was forced to close it a lot to go to sleep--or try, at least.

The characters are all full of different emotions and have different sides to themselves, very well rounded. I don't relate to them that well, partly because they're all adults and in the middle of a war, and partly because the main characters are in love. It's confusing sometimes when they react in a completely different way than I expect, but that's most likely because they're under so much more pressure and stress than I can imagine. I like the way the plot twists and turns, though it can get confusing, especially with all the foreign names and places.

There is a lot of real danger in this book; plenty of encounters with German soldiers, a few times when a secret is almost revealed, etc. This book was really entertaining and exciting. A great story. I didn't like the ending, though. Actually, I kind of hated it. Funnily enough, I guessed the ending before I was halfway through the book, but whether it was a complete guess or too much shadowing, I don't know. I was unpleasantly surprised but yet unsurprised when I read the ending. However, I think in this case, a happy ending doesn't fit. It's about a war, and betrayal, and love, so I think the ending needed to be sad, because it reminds you that live isn't fair. So I hated it, but I understood it, and I actually prefer this to a happily-ever-after ending.

Rating: I shall give this book an eight out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment