Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Mark of Solomon Series by Elizabeth E. Wein

There is a story before this story, in The Sunbird, so you might want to read that first.

Note: I'm rating books One and Two in The Mark of Solomon series together, as a single book. Book One is The Lion Hunter, and Book Two is The Empty Kingdom.

Plot: after recovering from his horrific ordeal as a government spy in the illegal salt mines, Telemakos, now twelve, has a bad accident in the royal lion's den. He eventually heals, but from that moment on, his life is changed forever. Soon he and his baby sister Athena are sent to live with their uncle, a long ways away in Afar. His uncle is manipulative and mysterious, and he has plans to use Athena and Telemakos for his own good. Can Telemakos protect both himself and his baby sister?

Comments: I liked these books a lot, and they were very good for when you just need something to fill up your time with. I had already started reading The Lion Hunter when I realized that there were books--or a book--before it. The Lion Hunter was so well written, however, that I had no need to find the story before it. Everything was explained in helpful, interesting intervals at different parts in the story. The characters are well rounded and interesting, but the names are extremely confusing at some points, because they're nothing like I've ever heard before, so they're easy to mix up. The plot is creative, and I like reading about the political games the royal characters play (not games for fun; when I say political game, I mean the discreet ways political figures insult and test each other). I don't like how Telemakos is always so humble and obedient to his uncle. If Telemakos does something on purpose that he knows the Abreha won't like, he'll kneel and suck up to him with a silver tongue and seems to have no sense of pride.

Rating: I rate these books with a seven and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment