Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wolf Speaker by Tamora Pierce

Book Two in The Immortals series. Click here for book one and click here for book four.

Plot: when Daine receives a message from the wolf pack she had lived with, asking for her help, she returns but finds nothing is the same. The wolves are acting strangely, and there are two-leggers - humans, that is - that are destroying the forest. It's up to Daine to save not only her wolf family, but the entire forest, and maybe even the crown!

Comments: this was a good book, but I liked Wild Magic better - the first book in the series. I had fun reading about Daine's developing powers, and I like seeing from the point of view of animals. I'm not sure why I liked Wild Magic better, I just did.

The new characters were interesting, though I had some trouble remembering which wolf was which. I liked the diversity of the characters; there were so many different kinds! This book had a nice message entwined in the plot: Daine learned not to judge by appearances, and not to generalize. Don't assume everyone is like the one person you meet.

Again, I love Daine's wild spirit and quick tongue. She's the perfect character for this story, and I like how she deals fairly with everyone. Once she learns her lesson, no creature is better in her eyes. This is a good thing to remember, and though Daine stuggles, she succeeds eventually. I liked the hidden plot that was uncovered, the sense that something else was going on behind the scenes, and - BOOM! The secret is revealed! It lent a sense of mystery to the story, which spiced it up a bit.

Rating: I rate this book a six and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment