Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Darklight by Lesley Livingston

Sequel to Wondrous Strange.

Plot: the newly found Faerie princess Kelley is rehearsing for a new play in New York City, while Sonny, the man (mortal) she loves is stuck in the Otherworld chasing the remaining Hunters. Kelley misses Sonny a lot, and he thinks of her everyday, but when Kelley is transported to the Otherworld, their reunion is not exactly sweet. However, they have to work together to defeat their new enemy, an Irish maniac.

Comments: I happened upon this book when I was browsing through the library and snatched it up immediately. And then, realizing I couldn't even remember the main character's name, I also grabbed the first book, Wondrous Strange. So I reread Wondrous Strange, and when I'd finished, I picked up Darklight and started reading that. There's a slight jump timewise between the books, so there was a moment of confusion (especially since I began reading Darklight seconds after I finished rereading Wondrous Strange), but I caught on eventually and it worked out fine.

I must say, this book is a lot more dramatic than its prequel. I liked Wondrous Strange for its mystery and fantasy and shy romance. Darklight has a lot of suspense and makes the reader wonder and want to keep reading. There was especially a lot of romantic drama, and I'm not sure I liked that. It definitely spiced things up and created a lot of mystery and suspense, but I kept imagining different ways the story could go that I was really hoping wouldn't go, like Kelley having an affair or something. Every chapter brought a new possibility, and it was almost overwhelming! I do like the way Lesley Livingston wrote it; out of all the possibilities I thought up, hers was the best (well, I didn't think hers up - it was better than all mine, how's that?).

I liked the continuation of different characters. Not every character from Wondrous Strange played a big part in Darklight - or even a part at all - but those that stayed were used quite nicely. I like the way several characters expanded and became more important, and how I got to know them better. It reminds me of a dance, with partners and couples fading in and out, whirling in circles around each other.

Rating: I rate this book a six and a half out of ten. I hope I don't have to wait another year for the third book!

No comments:

Post a Comment