Friday, March 12, 2010

Terrier by Tamora Pierce

Book One in the Beka Cooper series. Click here for book two.

Plot: Beka Cooper grew up in the Lower City, so when she becomes a trainee to become a Dog (protectors of the law), she can easily find her way around the place. Catching Rats (criminals) with her Dogs, the famous pair Goodwin and Tunstall, Beka soon becomes caught up in the strange disappearances of children and adults throughout the city. Will she solve the mystery before it's too late?

Comments: I absolutely loved this book! I have read a lot of books written by Tamora Pierce, and this is definitely one of my favorites (though don't actually make me decide which book is best). This book was perfect for me; long (over five hundred pages), but not dragged on, action, adventure, mystery, and fantasy all rolled in one! I love the way Tamora Pierce writes. I feel so included in the action.

There are definitely a lot of characters in this story, and it's pretty easy to get confused. I suggest reading carefully, and don't ignore characters that don't immediatly seem unimportant! Don't worry if you lose track, though: you'll pick it up soon enough. The characters are all easy to imagine, and the characteristics are varied well. No two characters are exactly alike, and I imagined them well enough to hear their voices in my head.

I love Beka Cooper! I appreciate her bravery, cool-headedness, sharp tongue, and quick thinking. I like how quick-witted and smart she is, but I also appreciate that she isn't perfect and still has a lot to learn before she can become a Dog. Every thing about her feels real, and her fiery temper only helps me to relate to her! She is an ideal character, and is perfect for this role.

Rating: I rate this book a seven and one-fourth out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment