Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce

Book One in The Immortals series. Click here for book two and click here for book four.

Plot: A young girl named Daine claims she only has a knack with animals, but it's not until she hires on as an assistant to a horse-master that she begins to realize the truth. Daine has some great power within her, power stronger than had been seen in years. Her training begins when a powerful mage enters her life...

Comments: I have read so many books written by Tamora Pierce; it was only a matter of time before I read this one! I really enjoyed reading Wild Magic. I like the way Tamora Pierce connects all her stories into one never ending story (there's a book called that: The Never Ending Story! I haven't read it though...yet.). Every new series is somehow connected to another series. In this case, you learn about a character named Alanna in the Song of the Lioness series, and she is also a character in the Immortals series, though the events in the Immortals series occur after the Song of the Lioness series. It always makes me smile to recognize something at the beginning of a new story.

There are a lot of characters and sometimes I got confused. I would have to flip back and find out who a certain person was. But I did remember all the important characters, and the characters I did remember, I also imagined. The characters were described well, and I could easily think of them as real people, as history. I love the authentic way they talk and interact, and I quickly grew to love some main characters.

Daine's power was explained very well. I felt like I understood her connection with the animals, the way she loved them. I related well to Daine, and I like how...well, likable she is! I appreciated her scorn of showy mages who use exaggerated hand gestures and dress in finery. Her angry feelings made her feel even more realistic.

Rating: I rate this book a seven and a half out of ten. Awesome story!

1 comment: