Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Plot: a highly intelligent boy with incredible powers loses his parents at an early age to...aliens. There are aliens that live on Earth among humans, and he has taken on the dangerous job of Alien Hunter. To revenge his parents' deaths, he works his way up the List of dangerous aliens, and this time he's going up against Number 6. But it turns out, Number 6 is a lot stronger than the other aliens he's used to fighting. Can he overcome Number 6 or will the Earth succumb to the evil alien's will?

Comments: I am almost certain that there is at least one other book before this one, because everything was so confusing. Also because it skipped right to Number 6 and didn't go into other alien fights much. It was as if the whole story started in the middle of everything. I also checked out Daniel X: Watch the Skies, but I was careful about choosing which to read first, and I ended up sure that The Dangerous Days of Daniel X came first. Still, everything was confusing, and too many details were left out.

The characters were luckily easy to imagine, and not too difficult to remember. But though they were different in personality, they didn't stand out very much from each other. It was like Daniel was the only important person, and the rest were just supporting characters (I mean, they were, but...they were like props). And Daniel himself, I didn't much understand his character. I couldn't imagine him very well at all, like he wasn't a real person. I liked his sense of humor, but I didn't like the amount of powers he had. I mean, super speed, super strength, shape-shifting, levitation, ability to make inanimate things talk and move, ability to create "people" out of thin air...is it just me, or is that way too many powers? I got really bored, because he could just conjure anything up and was this total superhero. Not even superheros have that many powers! I think the writers should have stuck with one or two. It felt like he was boasting, because he could just act like superman, spiderman, whatever, no sweat.

The plot was confusing and not very well thought out. Again, everything was confusing and there didn't seem to be a definite storyline. The story was interesting by itself, but with Daniel's powers and somewhat lack of adversity, it was boring. I managed to finish the book, but I don't think I'll be reading any more, including Daniel X: Watch the Skies. I'll just return both books to the library and forget all about them.

Rating: I rate this book a five out of ten. Alternated between confusing and boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment