Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Plot: a teenage girl is murdered one night in the cornfield, and the fruitless search for her murderer begins. Watching from her heaven, the girl wishes she could tell them who it was, but all she can do is observe her family falling apart.

Comments: the story beings immediately in this book. I was shocked at how quickly the plot started, actually. The first sentence introduced me to the character and a glimpse of her personality, and the second sentence introduced me to her murder. Yes, this story is told from the murdered girl's point of view, and while I wouldn't call her omniscient, she can hear some of the thoughts of other people and she sees everything that happens.

I must warn you: this story will shock you, surprise you, disgust you, interest you, make you think, and possibly make you cry. This is not some pretty little story about a girl who lives in heaven; it is a story about a murdered girl watching her family down on Earth try to find her murderer and fall apart in the process. There are a couple swear words, some romantic themes, but I mostly warn you that there are mature concepts. This is about murder, for one thing. Very descriptive murder. This story brings you into the life of the girl's family and gives you a tiny bit of understanding as to what they are going through, and just a little bit may be too much for you. Either read this book all the way to the last page, or don't pick it up at all.

This book really made me think of things, like what I want most in life, and maybe in death. I really like the concept of heaven as Alice Sebold describes it, because it's something new and different and seems peaceful and relaxing. This book also reminded me to live. I don't know what I want in life, so I think I'd better go find out. I don't want to wander through life, I want to chase after something and accomplish a dream. I hope you do, too, after reading this book.

Rating: I rate this book a seven out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment