Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Judas Goat by Robert B. Parker

Book Five in the Spenser series

Note: I have on my blog the first and second books (The Godwulf Manuscript and God Save the Child), but I was unable to find the third and fourth books (Mortal Stakes and The Promised Land). I will keep trying, but I'm going to skip to the fifth for now.

Plot: a millonaire offers private detective Spenser a job as a headhunter, attempting to bring a group of ameteur terrorists that killed his family to justice. Spenser takes the job and hops a plane to London, where he begins his chase. But it turns out that the terrorists don't like him snooping around...

Comments: this was definitely not my favorite Spenser novel. It was still an okay book, but I wasn't sure I really liked it all that much. I absolutely loved the first book of his that I read, but it was much later in the series (see the comments of The Godwulf Manuscript). I guess Robert B. Parker's writing skill changed over the years. This book was a lot more action, less talk than the book I loved (Then and Now). It seemed more of a...well, guy book to me. It was all about guns and fighting and girls (yes, there were definitely some inappropriate parts). I don't mean to be sexist, saying that only men like books like this one, but it felt to me like this one was written mostly for the enjoyment of men. I mean, it is from a man's point of view, after all, it's written by a male author, and the main character, Spenser, likes to make comments about the different women he meets.

I did like the simplicity of the writing, the way it's laid back, yet sophisticated at the same time. I like Robert B. Parker's way of describing the setting, because I can most of the time imagine the place in my mind, even though I've never been to Europe. The characters are all well described too, and they are all different enough to feel like real people, instead of made-up characters on a 2D page.

Rating: I rate this book a six out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment