Monday, November 2, 2009

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams

Note: Read the first three books of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books first.

Plot: Arthur Dent is back on Earth, and it seems as if the past eight years had never happened. But when he finds a gift-wrapped fishbowl as a goodbye gift from the dolphins, he knows not all is the same on his planet. Then he meets a young woman named Fenny, and his world is turned upside down again! What will happen next in this strange, wild thing we call Life?

Comments: This book was pretty good, but I think I liked the first three better. This book didn't have much of a plot--okay, none of them do. So sue me. Anyways, it was all very slow and unhurried. Which was fine, just saying. This is not a good book for people who like action, because there really isn't much in this story. It's good if you want to hear more about Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect, and best if you don't have much else to do. A good relaxing book.

I love the characters! They're all so realistic and quirky--every single one of them. Even the characters you don't know much about and aren't in the story for more than a couple sentences have a sense of personality to them. I loved Marvin, the depressed robot. I was so sad at the ending...but I still thought it was funny how they just brushed it off as if nothing unusual had happened. Arthur is different in this book, because of Fenny, and I like that. I love Arthur, and I'm glad he found someone. I'm confused about the dolphins though. Obviously, I shouldn't have expected there to be some importance or relevancy to the whole mammals-gone-missing thing. These books are fun reads because of their lack of plot, but it sometimes gets a little boring. I suggest reading books in between the novels in this series, to switch up the type of writing.

Rating: I rate this book a six out of ten. Not very captivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment