Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Messenger by Lois Lowry

Note: read The Giver and Gathering Blue before this book.

Plot: Matt is back, and he's better than ever--seriously. He doesn't steal or lie (at least, not really), he's living with the Seer, and he's happy. But when the peaceful little village starts to change, Matt may be their only hope.

Comments: not a bad book, good for fantasy readers. I think this book is best for when you have some time on your hands and you want to start and finish a book all in one sitting. I liked this book, better than Gathering Blue. The characters are well described in this book, which I think is necessary. You need to know the people better to see how they're changing. The characters are well described, and I feel like I know them after a few sentences. Lois Lowry painted a good picture of how the village used to be, and shows the reader how dangerous this change is.

The story line is very easy to follow, and it's never confusing. The way the story unfolds from the very beginning allows you to learn about the setting and characters while the plot is already starting, so that you don't have to sit through a boring introduction. I liked the ending; though it was a bit sad, I thought it was fitting. There are some good lessons in this story, and I like the choices the characters make.

Rating: I rate this book a six and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment