Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. Parker

Book One in the Spenser novels

Plot: private detective Spenser is hired to find a priceless manuscript stolen from a college museum. Though there is virtually no information to lead off of, Spenser takes the case and is immediately thrust into the hazy world of college students and secretive cults. As suspects emerge and theories unfold, an unexpected crime changes everything.

Comments: I accidentally read the twenty-somethingth book in this series without knowing it. It's the kind of series where you really don't need to read them all. In fact, I didn't realize that there were any books before Now and Then until after I had finished it. But whether you read the twenty-fifth first or start from book one, I recommend this series. It's meant for a mature audience; not exactly middle school material. There is swearing, violence, murder, and romance (if you know what I mean). I really like these books, but I would rate them PG13.

This particular book was probably different than it should have been, since I read it after the twenty-seventh (I think). But I really like the way Robert B. Parker writes. I absolutely love the main character, Spenser, mainly for his quick wit, but also because of his lion-hearted courage and good heart. He charges into danger to save other people and gives no thought to his own health. Granted, he's not running around checking to make sure everyone's okay, but he's always there when people need him.

This mystery was interesting in that the plot soon...died, and another one began. I mean, there was a main focus in the beginning of the book--the stolen manuscript--but then it changed to something else, and the manuscript is practically forgotten. It's something different, to change topics halfway through the story. But I like it. Everything runs smoothly, and it's not confusing. I like the language and the interactions between characters. Everyone is different, and I can easily imagine people like them eating lunch at a cafe or dashing to classes at a college. I have the strange sense that all this actually happened.

Rating: I rate this book a six and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment