Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

The last book in the "Increasingly Misnamed Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy". This is...book number five?

Plot: Arthur is once again far away from his own home, Earth, and he's also lost Fenchurch. He soon settles down on a peaceful little planet, feeling pretty happy (except for the fact that he recently lost the love of his life). Then Ford Prefect dashes back into the picture, bringing a bit of action and cuss words to the story. Other things intruding on Arthur's newfound happiness: a new edition of the Guide, a daughter he didn't know he had, and ultimately, his eventual death.

Comments: I liked this book, but my favorite in this "trilogy" is still the very first book. Not really much to say that I haven't before, and I don't want to repeat myself. So then, I'll be finishing this entry pretty quickly. It's all random and jumbled up (but that's nothing new) so make sure you read carefully. I had to go back a few times and reread a sentence or two.

I didn't anticipate this ending. I really didn't. I'd thought there was one more book in the series, too, so I doubly didn't expect it. It completely caught me by surprise, and I felt kind of sad now that I'm done with the books. No more Arthur Dent, no more Ford Prefect, no more Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters. Great. Now I'm feeling unhappy. You better be worth it. Anyways, I think the ending fits. I had to think about it, since I was teetering on the line separating "fitting" and "dissatisfying". But in the end, I decided it fits, and though I'm not completely at peace about this series--and never will be--I am willing to accept the ending.

Rating: I rate this book a six and a half out of ten.
I rate this series a seven and a half. Recommend it to almost anyone. JUST READ EM! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment