Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hatching Magic by Ann Downer

Book One (the sequel is The Dragon of Never-Was)

Plot: 13th century wizard, Gideon, has a pet wyvern (a dragon-like creature) that is going to lay an egg soon. However, when looking for a good nesting place, she goes through a bolthole and ends up in modern day Boston! Gideon goes searching for her and discovers the key to finding his pet, Theodora Oglethorpe, a young girl obsessed with the trading card game Wizards and Wyverns.

Comments: I liked this book, but it was a pretty easy read. Not the longest novel in the world, it's probably best for reading all at once. Very easy words/language, simple to read. The characters are uncomplicated and easy to imagine as real people. I can relate to Theodora, and it's very easy to think of her and Mikko (the housekeeper) eating Popsicles and going shopping in Boston. The way the characters all interact is very real, but I think sometimes the reactions are too controlled. For example, when Theodora is not allowed to come with her father on his exploration, she protests but doesn't seem properly mad, and she is ashamed when her father tells her to stop arguing. I don't think she really acted like a young girl just then. And when...well, that would give a big part of it away. Not that you won't guess it's coming.

Parts of this book were pretty predictable, but maybe that's because this was meant for younger readers. I don't know. But I almost always knew what was happening when the characters didn't, or what would happen before it happened. The plot is original and creative, and I liked it very much. The antagonist and his servant fit perfectly into the story, and I was happy with the way the author had the servant's story end. I think it was fitting. All in all, this was a nice book, and I recommend it, but I personally would have preferred a more advanced novel with the same plot, characters, etc.

Rating: I rate this book a six out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment