Monday, October 5, 2009

Life, the Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams

Book three in Hitchhiker's Trilogy (sequel to The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Plot: Arthur and the rest have gone separate ways and they continue along different paths for a while. But when the universe needs saving again, it's up to this odd motley of characters to try not to think about what they're doing and jump back into the fray.

Comments: This is my least favorite book in the trilogy, though I still really liked it. I'm not sure why I prefer the older books, but I think this story was less funny and more...well, serious. I didn't laugh as much while reading this book, but there were still hilarious patches that almost make up for an inconsistent amusement factor. Again, the scientific stuff is very interesting and I like to read about it, though of course, most of it's not based on true facts as we Earthlings know them.

The characters evolve a bit in this story; I noticed some changes in personality. Arthur is almost as confused as ever, but he steps up to the plate nicely. Ford just kind of loses his courage and sense of responsibility. Zaphod never had a sense of responsibility in the first place, and he eventually gains a bit. Trillian becomes somewhat irresponsible for a while, but she soon snaps out of it. The characters aren't together much in this book. Life, the Universe, and Everything is more focused on Arthur, Ford, and Slartibartfast, while Trillian and Zaphod kind of fade into the background, which I must say is fine with me.
I'm afraid I didn't like the ending to this book. It fits, I suppose, but I still wished there had been something more. It felt like it ended--not abruptly, but rather unfinished. I had a strong sense that there was more to come.

Rating: I rate this book a seven and a fourth out of ten.

Note: there IS more to come. I now have So Long and Thanks for all the Fish and Mostly Harmless on my blog. Take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment