Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams

Sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Plot: Arthur and his rag-tag group of oddities are back, and they're hungry! They are somehow transported to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, a very popular, very expensive restaurant millions and millions of years in the future, where every night the universe ends as a grand finale.

Comments: I didn't quite like this book as much as the book before it, but it was still a great novel. The characters are the same odd creatures they always have been, saying the strangest things and doing things that are even stranger. They lead the story line in a wild and mad dance around your overheating brain, while you just barely control your sanity. Once again, this book made me laugh out loud, and also often cock my head to the side and stare off into space (that phrase is quite appropriate, wouldn't you say?) while I try to wrap my head round a concept I had read in this story. The twists and turns and jumping ahead and behind in time is often confusing, but I suppose part of the idea is to make you think a bit harder.

The plot is interesting, though I think perhaps a bit too focused on the actual restaurant. I like the way things are described, and I get the sense that the person telling the story has quite the interesting personality. Never thought I would like sci-fi, but I'm very glad I tried this series. I haven't thought so hard since last week's geometry homework! : )

Rating: I rate this book a seven and four fifths out of ten. Almost as good as the last book, but not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment