Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fall of a Kingdom by Hilari Bell

Book One in the Farsala Trilogy

Plot: The kingdom of Farsala has seen no war for thousands of years, and when a new enemy threatens the borders, they are confident of victory. However, the enemy has been taking over countries right and left, and have never been defeated. Three young people aren't quite so confident; Jiaan, Soraya, and Kavi, all linked together in some way. They don't know that it'll be up to them to save Farsala...

Comments: this book is good for fantasy/adventure readers, and I think it's good for just a lazy afternoon. It's not very fast-paced, so it's also good for reading snatches of whenever you can. I like the plot and the way the story plays out, showing you a bit more about each character as the story progresses. Even though the characters are separated for most of the story, their individual stories add up smoothly to create a bigger story. The characters are easy to imagine, but not necessarily easy to relate to. Two out of the three main characters aren't people I exactly aspire to be like, but I think I can at least understand them, if not relate to them. I like the way this author writes, and how everything is very smooth and well explained.

However, I felt like this story was merely an introduction to the other two books. Through-out the entire story, I was waiting for the plot to begin, for the action to start, for things to start happening. When the book ended, it felt like I had just started reading. I knew a lot about what had happened, but at the same time it felt like nothing at all had happened. I think the author could have done a better job at having important things, unexpected things happen throughout the story, instead of just at the end.

I rate this book a six out of ten. I occasionally had to force myself to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment