Friday, October 16, 2009

The Grounding of Group 6 by Julian F. Thompson

Plot: five students show up at their new boarding school only to find that their advisor was hired to kill them. And guess who was paying? Their own parents. Luckily, their advisor never had any intent to murder teenagers, and he takes them to a remote cabin in the woods. But with the school staff searching for them and supplies limited, how long can they possibly remain hidden?

Comments: This book is a mixture of adventure and a story of love; I do not recommend this book for anyone under 14 years of age. It's a detailed love story, and it gets somewhat explicit at times. However, maturity level aside, this story has a very creative and interesting plot. It takes a little while to introduce the characters and explain their background, but I like the way it's all spread out and not too much to remember all at once. You have to wait a little while for the actual story to start though, so just bear with the first couple chapters.

I like the characters and how different they all are. The way they interact is life like and makes for some interesting scenes. I like the whole love story side of this book, but I think it could have been less explicit. I didn't need nearly as many details as were included in this book, and I admit I often skipped paragraphs I could tell would be too...graphic for my tastes. I think that could have been a bit more innocent, a little more about the love part than what the people in love do. I like the way Group 6 get together and make bases, maps, storage units, sentries, etc. It's very responsible and well-thought out, though mostly that's because of Nat.

Rating: I will give this book a six and a half out of ten. (Penalty for mushy stuff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment