Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Zorro by Isabel Allende

Plot: Ever heard of Zorro, the dashing, mysterious man that defeats his enemies with cunning and expert fencing, then vanishes back into the night? This is the story of his childhood, and how Diego de la Vega came to be known as Zorro.

Comments: I loved this book! It was a great adventure, with daring rescues and breathless battles...and it wasn't totally sexist, either. (You know those stories with the dashing Prince Charming who saves the beautiful Damsel in Distress from the evil dragon/count/father/whatever? Well, this story wasn't like those. That's good, because I hate those kinds of stories, as you can tell.) It felt very old-fashioned; the way people spoke, the formality of everything, and, obviously, the years it is set in. Isabel Allende seems to have done her homework, because it all feels very real - even the style of writing feels rather old-fashioned, the way scenes or settings are described, and the slightly omniscient narration.

I definitely loved the plot. There were a lot of different stories interconnected within this book, cleverly woven together so that it was all very smooth and continuous. The ideas were as creative as any I've ever seen (which is certainly saying something) and the characters were very well-formed. I could imagine the characters doing the things I read about, and things I didn't read about. In my opinion, the best character is someone that feels realistic enough for you to imagine them living a regular life (or, if not regular, then just living outside of the story). I loved the amazing bond that Diego and Bernardo share. I was glad that their ancestral differences had no impact on their friendship.

This story will make you hold your breath and make you laugh. The adventures are captivating and spectacularly written, and anyone with an imagination will have the greatest time reading and dreaming. One thing, though: some people may consider it a little bit boring. It is written in a matter-of-fact sort of way, as if it's a biography rather than a novel, and that style is not always the most entertaining. I suggest you keep with it! I did, and I'm thoroughly happy with that use of my time.

Rating: I rate this book a seven and a quarter out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment