Saturday, May 8, 2010

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

Note: Technically the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, which I tried to read, but it didn't really grab me. So I didn't finish. I suggest you go ahead and read House of Many Ways whether or not you have read Howl's Moving Castle, because it wasn't confusing at all - hardly related. (Or the Castle in the Air which I just found accidentally. That apparently has little relation to Howl's Moving Castle anyway.)

Plot: Charmain Baker is volunteered by her domineering aunt - despite her mother's feeble protests that it isn't "respectable", a highly valued trait in her family - to look after Charmain's Great-Uncle William's house while he's away. Charmain is relieved and excited to be on her own for a little while, but is shocked when she discovers Great-Uncle William was expecting her to work! Having lived a sheltered life, Charmain has no clue how to do anything besides read a book, so how will she cope with a dirty house - especially one that magically bends space and time?

Comments: I loved this book! Very light-hearted reading, just what I needed at the time. It's fun and creative and adventurous and amusing - everything a good fantasy story should have. The characters were definitely easy to imagine – always a good thing – and they were as different as any number of people can be. I didn’t like the way Charmain refused to do anything, but that got better in time, and she was creative and easy to relate to, so that kept me interested. Peter (you’ll meet him) was funny and cute (not as in looks – there aren’t any illustrations) and hilariously clumsy, but he was also practical and hard-working. I loved Twinkle (you’ll meet him, too), but I was kind of annoyed with Charmain for not figuring it out sooner.

It’s always so frustrating when it’s so obvious to you, the reader, what’s going on, but the main character doesn’t figure it out until the very end, and the whole time you’re screaming at them: OPEN YOUR EYES! SEE WHAT IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! Okay, well, that’s what I’m screaming. In my head, of course. Wouldn’t want to freak out everyone else in the room. (Although their faces might be worth it.)

Anyway, the plot is definitely unlike anything I’ve ever read, and everything is incredibly original. There are new creatures, new abilities, new everything. It’s all well organized and hardly confusing at all (there’s always a little confusion in stories with mysteries), and the style of writing is easy to understand and satisfying.

Rating: I rate this book a seven and a half out of ten. Great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment