Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Plot: a journalist by the name of Juliet Ashton receives a letter from Dawsey Adams, a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Juliet unknowingly begins an adventure that will take her across oceans, awaken memories of World War II, and find a new family.

Comments: I absolutely loved this book! The whole story is told in the form of letters (well, almost all of it) being written from different people to different people. You would think that would create a detached sense of the story, make it feel less real, but I think that only enhanced your views of the characters; stories were told from different perspectives, making the story more interesting, and everyone had a different writing style, which showed their different personalities. I love how all the characters are so amazing different from each other and yet can find the one thing in common that will bring them together.

I fell in love with the characters. For once I didn't try to imagine what they looked like - I guess I didn't feel like I needed to know, since reading letters written by a character would help me get to know them better than seeing their face. Juliet was so independent and stubborn, and her letters were always written in a curious, perky kind of way. Dawsey was sweet and caring, but quiet, almost the strong-and-silent type. But not quite.

The ending was perfect! I won't give it away (though I think when you read it – you will read it, right? Anyway, I think you'll see it coming from miles away), but personally, I think it was the best possible way it could end. Down to the wording, it was perfect. By the way, I'm not talking about the last page, though that ending was also perfect. It's more focusing on Juliet and...someone. I couldn't stop smiling as I read those last few pages, and I had this feeling of utter peace and contentment...(and I'm only slightly exaggerating!)

Rating: I rate this book an eight out of ten. The best book I've read in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment