Monday, May 10, 2010

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Note: there are two posts for this book. This is the first post, and I posted another a while later after reading it for school.

Plot: a young Indian boy living on a reservation decides to transfer to a school outside of the "rez", almost completely filled with white kids. In doing so, he loses his best - and only - friend, makes everyone on the rez hate him (except his grandma), and creates a future for himself brighter than anything he would have found at home.

Comments: This book was hilarious! Written from the point of view of a witty fourteen-year-old, it had me giggling the whole time. (Though the whole fourteen-year-old boy part has its downs, too; it's somewhat inappropriate at parts. Nothing too bad, but it's certainly interesting...) Sherman Alexie did a great job writing this book! It's funny, clever, eye-opening, and has a good life lesson, all at the same time.

I loved the way the characters were described. The descriptions would include good and bad sides of people, which was very informative and helpful, and very life-like, too. I mean, personally, I don't exactly view the world through rose-colored glasses. No way. I notice the bad sides of people for sure, but I also notice the good sides. The author balanced the descriptions well, because no one is all bad or all good. I felt very much a part of this story, partly because I could imagine everyone. The sketches helped a lot!

The plot is definitely original, and the creativity is excellent. I had a lot of fun reading this book, so it completely qualifies as light-hearted reading – mostly. (Isn't that a perfect contradiction? Completely but mostly. Hah.) I mean, it's very much like life, so it's not all smiles and rainbows and marshmallows, you know? But I felt good when I finished reading, so I would call it light-hearted, and I recommend reading this story all at once (there's a lot of pictures, so it isn't as long as it looks) and on a sunny afternoon or lazy morning. But definitely read it!

Rating: I rate this book a seven and one-fourth out of ten. Great story!

No comments:

Post a Comment