Monday, May 28, 2012

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Book one in the Ashes Trilogy. Book two, Shadows, will be out in September 2012.

Plot: Alex is hiking alone in the woods, trying to escape the malignant monster lodged in her brain, when suddenly the world ends. An EMP has exploded overhead: all technology is destroyed and the ones who survived the blast start to go crazy. She fights to survive with her new family of an eight-year-old girl and a young soldier.

Comments: Ashes was amazing! I loved the premise of the book as well as Alex herself. I felt Alex was a strong female character because though she was sometimes overwhelmed by the challenges in her new life, she persevered and would not give up. The little girl was pretty annoying. That was meant to be a part of her character, but I just didn't like reading about her, honestly. The soldier seemed too perfect. He could do anything, which was pretty exasperating, especially when Alex began to rely on him.

The people going crazy actually gave me nightmares. That might just be me, but I certainly don't recommend this book to anyone younger than high school age. They're meant to be terrifying, so I guess mission accomplished. The people in the shielded town of Rule also gave off an odd sense. I felt uneasy when Alex was in Rule, and I didn't like her sudden romance with another boy. I thought that was unrealistic and I didn't want Alex to like him.

The story was exciting and intriguing, a constant adventure. The uncertainty is almost tangible and the tones of fear and raw survival instincts are always in the background.

Rating: I rate Ashes a nine out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment