Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Plot: Aislinn has always seen faeries. Her grandmother taught her to never let the faeries know of her power, and up until now, Aislinn kept her secret safe. Then Keenan came along. Keenan is the faerie Summer King, and he's been searching for his Summer Queen for centuries. Until he finds the right girl and reaches his full power, the Winter Queen will rule the world. Keenan thinks Aislinn is the one, but she doesn't fall in love with him immediately like all the other girls had, before they were discarded, not being the true Summer Queen. Aislinn's best friend, Seth, is determined to stand in the way of the Summer King, and sparks will fly.

Comments: A rather complicated plot (my apologies for the extensive summary), but it's given to you gradually, so it's manageable. I love the theme and idea of the story, and the characters contrast and fill out the story nicely.  I do like the character Aislinn for her stubbornness and refusal to fall in love with what she knows isn't human - she knows firsthand how cruel and treacherous faeries are - but it's annoying how spineless she is. She isn't going to accept Keenan because of his gorgeous looks but she's falling apart in Seth's arms every day and night, telling him that she's scared and doesn't think she can do it. I hate how dependent Aislinn was upon the man in her life. I just wish she could have been more confident, or at least be able to hold in her sobs every now and again.

I liked Seth because he was understanding, nice, and protective (there's nothing wrong with him supporting Aislinn as long as she supports herself, too). He was eager to help and to be proactive, and I think Aislinn was lucky to have him. Keenan, on the other hand, was arrogant, self-obsessed, and completely confident in his abilities to have any girl come running when he snaps his fingers. I felt a fierce glee when he was so confused and bewildered at Aislinn's apparent immunity to his charms. No girl had ever turned him down before, which made him spoiled. He thought he had a right to take any girl he wanted - he had many times before, and when they turned out to be just another mortal and not his Summer Queen, it of course wasn't his fault that they suffered terribly and lost their mortality. What a jerk.

I thought the ending was good, a nice way to wrap things up and tie up all the loose ends. I was hoping for a sequel continuing the story of Aislinn and Seth, but so far I've only seen that any sequels out are about different characters. I find that disappointing, and I probably won't read the other books. I dislike reading stories where the main characters from a previous book are no longer the main characters.

Rating: I rate this book an eight out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment