Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter

Plot: a teenage girl named Elnora dreams of going to high school in the city. However, her strict and stingy mother barely allows her to go, and refuses her the money she needs to buy books, supplies, and clothes. Elnora decides to sell moths and butterflies to pay for her tuition and such, and the more self-dependent she becomes, the more her mother sinks into bitterness for Elnora's birth and deep remorse for her husband's early death.

Comments: I really liked the character Elnora. She's a sweet, bright girl and loves all things in nature, and especially in her swamp, the Limberlost. She's kind and motherly and doesn't like making other people feel bad. I did think she was a little overenthusiastic, especially in thanking people and in explaining things. I found that the dialogue was rather stilted and almost as if it were written as a script. Several times one person's long-winded speech extended across two pages, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I skipped over most of those. The detailed explanations were also tediously long, but I have never had much patience for settings. The writing was skilled, however; it was very eloquent and delicate. I liked the way the author used words.

I disliked the mother at first (I believe you are supposed to), but I grew to like her toward the end. However, I found her dramatic change in personality quite unbelievable. After almost two decades, I don't think she could have improved so easily. In any case, I'm glad that Elnora had her as a mother, because they had some good times. I didn't understand why the forbidden romantic interest, Phillip, loved a selfish, attention-grabbing girl named Edith. It made me think he was too stupid and dim to deserve a selfless girl like Elnora. But I guess she loved him too, so there's that. But I didn't like how Elnora led Phillip on a wild goose chase and nearly killed him in doing so. I thought that bit was very selfish and stupidly done. Oh, well. I guess it was a nice, if a rather "happily-ever-after" ending.

Rating: I rate this book a seven and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment