Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jingo by Terry Pratchett

A book in the Ankh-Morpork Watch section of the Discworld series.

Plot: When the city of Ankh-Morpork and the great nation Klatch are preparing to go to war against each other, Commander Vimes of the Watch knows he has to do something. Along with Captain Carrot, Sergeant Detritus, and pretty much every single watchman/woman/dwarf/troll/undead in the whole city, Vimes travels across the sea to Klatch, hoping to find a way to keep the peace.

Comments: Once again, Terry Pratchett has written a complex story made up of seemingly random characters and events that will keep you laughing out loud throughout the entire book. His witty remarks and odd tangents contribute an ambling style to the writing, and it appears as if he has carefully considered every word to fit perfectly. This story was different from other Watchmen stories I've read because it had quite a bit of politics mixed in, or at least in this story Vimes actually paid attention to the politics. It was interesting, but also a little repetitive at times, when Vimes was going over the attempted assassination mystery again and again; he was trying to figure out who wanted the Prince dead and who they wanted him to think wanted the Prince dead and why they wanted him to think that and how they would get him to think what they wanted him to think. I apologize for the confusing run-on sentence, but it imitated the style of writing when Vimes was thinking.

There was some good character development of Corporal Nobby and Sergeant Colon, and I felt rather attached to Nobby. I don't really like Colon, but then, I suppose you aren't necessarily supposed to. I guess I felt sorry for Nobby. He's probably a good person somewhere deep, deep inside. There wasn't much focus on Carrot or Angua in this book, which disappointed me because I loved Carrot in the past few books. I did grow to like Vimes better, and I like his loyalty, moral compass, and most of all his willingness to disobey direct orders (and sometimes, laws) if he believes its what is best for the city. I don't like how Lord Vetinari, the head of the city, is always keeping Vimes in the dark and relies on Vimes acting as he predicts. I like Lord Vetinari because of his cleverness and obvious skill in keeping the city alive and working, but it's just annoying how he manipulates Vimes. I think the Commander deserves better.

Rating: I rate this book a seven out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment