Monday, July 12, 2010

The Lighthouse Land by Adrian McKinty

Book 1 in the Lighthouse Trilogy

Plot: two boys find a magical device that transports them to another world. A girl from this strange place is convinced that they are the only ones who can save her city from raiders. Will they succeed?

Comments: at first, I really liked this book, especially the characters. The main character, Jamie, seemed really nice and sweet and not at all like an immature teenager. He was different, in a good way, and I liked him a lot. His new friend, Ramsay, is funny and spunky, and he's definitely different, too. I like how he sticks with Jamie and fights for him (even when he's only known him for a few hours). Jamie's mom doesn't feel very realistic, but she's not a main character, so I didn't mind much. I was kind of confused when Thaddeus, Jamie's old friend (I mean that Thaddeus is rather elderly, not that they've been friends forever), gave Jamie an expensive gift. It hadn't felt like they were THAT close...

I liked the plot, too, at first. It was creative and different and slightly magical, things I love about stories. But as the story continued (mostly toward the end), it got less exciting and less interesting. I finished the book, but only through loyalty to the beginning, and I won't be reading the second or third books. The end was slightly complicated, especially when Jamie kept changing his mind (again, trying not to give anything away). One moment he was dead set on one thing, absolutely positive of his decision, not letting anyone pursuade him otherwise. The next moment, Jamie's realized how wrong he was and changes his mind completely. It felt like the author had already decided on the ending and was trying to add some tension before the real ending showed itself. It felt very unrealistic.

Rating: I rate this book a six. Mostly good, but I didn't like the ending and won't be continuing with the trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment