Saturday, September 19, 2009

Lamplighter by D. M. Cornish

Book 2 in the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy

Plot: Rossamund finally made it to the lamplighter academy where he was due, only just in time! He soon adjusts to the life of a lamplighter apprentice, and he knows now that lamplighters are the bravest, smartest, strangest people you will ever find. He learns to avoid the dangers of the open roads, and how to protect himself from the monsters he will find on his lonely patrols. But soon, a mystery surfaces, along with a young girl lamplighter. Will Rossamund be able to answer his confusing questions before it is too late?

Comments: I liked this book a bit more than Foundling, the prequel, but there are some things I didn't like about Lamplighter. There are a lot more characters, and I was often confusing names and people, but that got better as I read further in. Rossamund seems quieter, more refined, and very observant. I like that he makes friends with the oddest people, and that he puts up with someone no one else could. But I don't like how he never stands up for himself, never says a word.
The plot is captivating and interesting, and very complicated. I appreciate how the story line is cleverly twisted and looped around itself, unexpected turns around each corner. The characters develop nicely, and you get to know them better. Sometimes the different monsters got confusing, and I used the glossary a lot--a smart idea to include one.

Rating: I rate this book a seven out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment