Saturday, September 19, 2009

Foundling by D. M. Cornish

Book 1 in the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy

Plot: a young orphanage boy sets out on his own to become an apprentice lamplighter, a dull-sounding job he is not looking forward to. His adventure begins immediately following a bad mistake on his part, and he is thrust into a world of monsters, thieves, and death.

Comments: this book is great for a fantasy/fiction lover, and it's perfect for someone with a big imagination. At first, you may have to flip back and forth from the story to the glossary, to look up a foreign word, but you soon get used to the different ideas and names. I liked the way the characters were described, and the pictures were very nice, too. I can easily imagine this story unfolding as I read through the chapters. The variation of characteristics is amusing, the way the different people interact is realistic. The plot is different from what I had expected when I began reading, and it follows a twisted, action-packed story line.

I like the way the main character (Rossamund, a boy with a girl's name) thinks differently from everyone else. I like how he isn't just the average person on the street. He adds an interesting perspective to the story, and the contrast between his opinions and the other characters' opinions makes the story that much more enjoyable.

Rating: I rate this book a seven out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment