Saturday, September 19, 2009

Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat by Lynne Jonell

Plot: a young girl named Emmy gets the best grades, has the best manners, lives in the best part of the city. She takes dancing and music lessons, has a truckload of expensive toys, and absolutely hates her life. Her parents are always on vacation somewhere distant, and her dreadful nanny controls her every move. Emmy is tired of not having any friends, and she's tired of being good. Then she meets the Rat.

Comments: I really liked this story, and it's great for someone who doesn't prefer fantasy but still has a good imagination. The characters were very easy to imagine, and I felt like I knew them myself. Emmy is a sweet little girl that no one notices, and when she meets the Rat, her life turns upside down. The Rat was funny and also easy to imagine. I like the plot, and the way the story isn't over even when you think it is. This is a cute story of friendship and growing up, and I'm glad I read it. I felt like I was Emmy (even though this is written in a third-person point of view). I like the way the characters interact, and the different characteristics in different characters help make the story seem real. The Rat at first seems an antagonist, but he soon evolves into a friend. This book taught some good lessons about making difficult decisions, and doing the right thing when you really don't want to.

Rating: I shall give this book a six and half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment