Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Star Wars Trilogy

Star Wars: A New Hope by George Lucas. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back by Donald F. Glut (based on a story by George Lucas). Star Wars: Return of the Jedi by James Kahn (based on a story by George Lucas).

Plot: For years Luke Skywalker worked on his uncle's farm on the remote planet Tatooine, longing for the chance to adventure. When he intercepted a cry for help from a beautiful princess, Luke was thrust into a dangerous journey that would alter his fate and the fate of the universe.

Comments: It has been a long time since I've seen the Star Wars movies. I was worried that I wouldn't understand what was happening when I read this stories. However, these novels were written in such a way that I could have understood perfectly even if I had never seen the movies. The stories were very clear. There were plenty of names and characters, but not so many that I lost track.

The pure adventure and desperate reliance on luck in bad situations made these stories incredibly exciting. They take the classic story of the underdog fighting the bully and expand it into a battle between good and evil for the freedom of all. I couldn't put the books down.

Though I liked the Rebel characters Luke, Leia, Solo, and such, I never really cared about them. I cheered for their cause and their victories, but I really had no empathy for the characters. They didn't feel like real people to me. The authors told rather than showed what the characters were feeling, which made the characters unrealistic and two-dimensional.

Rating: I rate this trilogy a nine out of ten. Great stories, exciting action.

No comments:

Post a Comment