Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Plot: Daniel Sempere reads his first Julian Carax novel as a young boy, only to discover that a mysterious man has been seeking out all of Carax's books and destroying them. In attempting to protect Carax's works, Daniel finds himself on a journey where he discovers love and uncovers the truth of Julian Carax's past.

Comments: Truly a dramatic, intriguing novel, The Shadow of the Wind is complexly twisted and entwined upon itself, stories within stories building on one another. The truth hides under many layers of lies. You will be shocked with silent awe for the mastermind of an author who created such a complicated story.

However, I thought the first half of the book mediocre. Not quite three hundred pages took me a couple weeks of effort and disinterest to read. The second half was a gripping page turner. These other not quite three hundred pages I read all in one night. What a contrast! I was incredibly surprised that night when I realized I'd read through a whole chapter without putting the book down, and from there on the story only became better. The plot thickened, lies were revealed, and the truth began to leap out in small, critical chunks like bullets riddling my metaphorical body. It was amazing.

I loved the characters in The Shadow of the Wind. David somehow did not appear to have much of a character though most of the novel was from his point of view. He felt insubstantial, less than human to me. Despite this, the cast interacted splendidly together in engrossing manners. I particularly loved Fermin, as I believe you are meant to do. He is loyal, witty, spectacularly sexual, and a hilarious aspect to the story.

The Shadow of the Wind was an interesting story. I loved the second half, and believe that it is worth slogging through the first half.

Rating: I rate this book an eight out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment