Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Plot: A young boy is stranded in the middle of nowhere after his plane crashes. Alone, far from civilization, and not exactly an expert on wilderness survival tactics, Brian must fight to survive.

Comments: This book came very highly recommended, and I'm glad I decided to read Hatchet. Though the reading level is low - maybe sixth grade - the story is great! If you like survival stories, this book is very descriptive and detailed as to how exactly Brian builds a camp, makes tools, etc. However, I'm not a very outdoorsy kind of person, and I didn't get bored with all the technical talk. The simple, concise explanations and tips almost made me believe I could survive in the wilderness!

I found it interesting how Brian's life at home was woven in with his story of survival. Bit by bit, you begin to learn about what he's left behind and understand the problems he had back home. I like the way you get to know Brian's life better, with skill and creativity, rather than a blunt paragraph or two towards the beginning of the book. In addition to the flow of the story, this element added a bit of suspense to the plot.

My favorite thing about this book is that it seems realistic. Brian has a lot of challenges to face while attempting to survive in the wilderness, such as shelter, fire, and, perhaps most importantly, food. It's not easy. There are no shortcuts for him. He doesn't have a handy backpack with matches, a tent, and freeze-dried food. This story Brian's determination and perseverance inspires me to persevere in my own life, though in a completely different way. Hatchet is a strong, well-written story, and I definitely recommend it myself.

Rating: I rate this book an eight out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment