Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Book two in the Dresden Files. Click here for book one.

Plot: Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is back for another life-threatening, magical mystery packed with plenty of suspicion, bad relationships, and...werewolves? Harry must struggle to uncover the mastermind - and motive - behind periodic gruesome murders while at the same time attempting to salvage his working relationship with Special Investigations officer Murphy. It may prove too much to juggle in this dangerous game of human and metamorphosing canine.

Comments: The friend who recommended this series to me claimed that the books just get better as the series continues. I was rather skeptical - I've read many series that sort of peter out, and, after all, book one would be a hard book to top anyway. But I was wrong. So very wrong.

Fool Moon is - if possible - even better than Storm Front, which is to say, Fool Moon is an incredibly entertaining story. I still love the character Harry Dresden for all of his awkwardness and misfortune, and also for his steely determination and natural instinct to protect everyone. I must admit that I don't particularly like the character Karrin Murphy even though Harry respects and loves her greatly as a colleague. In his narrations Harry has recalled good times with Karrin, but in the first two books of the series, she spends most of the time not trusting him, bossing him around, and in Fool Moon, trying to arrest him. I understand that she's a police officer and has a duty to the law, but the way she acts is prejudiced and practically traitorous. It's like she was looking for evidence to point to Harry as the suspect, already believing that he was the murderer.

I liked the new characters in this story. I have a feeling that each book in the series will introduce a new cast peppered with characters to hate, characters to love, and some odd balls throw in just to spice things up. One of my favorites was Tera West, a mysterious, lupine woman intent on saving her fiance no matter what it takes - and who has absolutely no problem with public nudity. Just putting that out there. I must say that betwixt all the treacherous political maneuvering, hunting for illegal magic users, and near-death experiences, Harry has certainly managed to find time in these past two books for a bit of risque business with women. Well, if I recall correctly she was the same woman in both books, but I'm just pointing out that this type of adult fantasy generally includes some romance to cater to a different part of the crowd. Not that it takes away from the quality of the book - if anything, the tangled emotions add flavor and suspense to the story.

Rating: I rate this book a ten out of ten. Read Storm Front, and then read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment