Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Plot: Commander Vimes was chasing a sadistic murderer across the rooftops of Ankh-Morpork one second, and the next he was lying naked in the middle of the road. Vimes soon discovers that he was transported back in time, to an Ankh-Morpork decades younger than the one he'd just come from. In the midst of shaping up the unfamiliar Watch and trying to find his way home, Vimes somehow finds time to teach a thing or two to a wet-behind-the-ears Watchman - a young Samuel Vimes.

Comments: Once again, this book was hilarious and witty. Yet another great book by Terry Pratchett! I liked the characters a lot in this book. I connected with them very well, and I was sad to see them go. I wonder if there will be more books back in Vimes' younger days...

One thing that was strange with this book was that the "war" didn't seem very real. It all felt rather detached, or far away, like that big essay due in a couple weeks. I was always rather surprised when there was fighting and live action because I hadn't quite realized that things were actually happening. Also, the whole time traveling concept was confusing. Obviously it's not supposed to be completely clear, but the explanations only distracted me from the story. The monk-like characters weren't very well described, so they didn't feel like real people, adding to the confusion during time travel explanations.

I liked reading about the young Sam Vimes and how the old Sam Vimes dealt with all the problems. I definitely felt like I knew Vimes a lot better by the end of this story. One thing I never quite understood was the lilac. You eventually find out what it represents, but I'm not sure that the event really deserved all their dedication and memories. They were so serious about it, but it didn't really seem all that terrible to me. Maybe I'm just unfeeling.

Rating: I rate this book an eight and a half out of ten.

1 comment:

  1. Must be an enjoyable read Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete